Excerpt: Applications are widely used in almost all devices including desktops, Android, and iOS, But have you ever wondered or have you ever thought about how they are made and run with your commands?
Well! They are developed using frameworks of various digital languages like HTML, Python, C++, JAVA, and many more. Several frameworks are used in the development of web applications. All of them have some pros and cons; if we come to Python-based web development, there are mainly three popular frameworks, i.e., Django, Flask, and FastAPI.
Here, we will give you a quick description of a Python Tutorial, along with its advantages and disadvantages. Along with this, we will bring you a detailed comparative analysis of all three frameworks based on various crucial parameters. Let's discuss them all one by one. Starting with Django.
What is Django Framework?
One of the most popular Python-based web development frameworks, Django is free and open-source, which follows the model-template-views architecture pattern for displaying. The credit behind the development of Django goes to two famous Python-based web developers, Adrian Holovaty and Simon Willison. The main reason for the popularity of this framework is its robust behavior. It is said to be developed in 2003.
However, to know more information on this exciting platform and enhance your career growth in this Programming field, Python Django Training is very beneficial.
The primary focus of Django is to eliminate all the difficulties and make it simple to develop complex database-driven websites. You may be surprised to know that this framework is used by some gigantic websites, including Instagram, clubhouse, Mozilla, and Nextdoor. There are several reasons behind its popularity, some of them are as follows:
- Less code.
- The rapid development of websites.
- Pluggability of components in the time of development.
- Low coupling and reusability.
Now let us mention some advantages of Django to make it easier for you to understand it.
Advantages of Django
- The AI-based compatibility of the framework will automatically track the security breach and automatically enable the security firewall against most of the major cyber-attacks, including SQL injection, cross-site request forgery, password cracking, cross-site scripting, and many more security threats. Initially, you can deem this as the most considerable tool for building GIS applications and google sitemaps.
- It equipped the rest framework with influential FastAPI functionality. Most of the frameworks have built-in API functionality for performing several takes like testing endpoints. And Django, equipped with another framework, will provide advanced authentication and permission facilities.
- It comes with numerous specifications, including URL dispatchers, ORM (object-relational mapper), a relational database, and a web templating system. That will enhance the user experience indirectly.
- The relational database will handle all the HTTP requests and OMR lists here. A regular expression-based URL dispatcher is the primary controller for all actions.
- Unlike other frameworks that have their private nomenclature, Django hasn't had its terminology; instead, it is capable of generating HTTP requests and responses with ease.
- The core of this framework is based on MVC( model-view-controller) architecture. It will develop the user interface using three main components, i.e., displayed in the image below:
Disadvantages of Django
- Django is not recommended for small works and websites; the complex structure and function of Django may confuse the developer.
- The process of development of Django will be slower after every request for an individual process.
- Everything must be accurate and point-to-point based during the development of Django because a minor mistake and mismatch can lead to the failure of website and application formation. This also leads to a slower speed of development.
- To accomplish smaller tasks and work, a developer needs to find a minor code set from a gigantic database of complex codes. This will make the work slower and more complex. It makes Django monolithic.
- Django offers numerous features and specifications, which is why it is very hard to understand for a user.
What is Flask Framework?
Another most prominent framework widely used by thousands of popular applications and websites. It is developed in Python and is based on a micro framework used to develop small sizes or light applications. It doesn't require a particular library or web development tools that make it easy to use and learn. All the functionalities can be done using pre-existing third-party libraries.
Using the Flask framework, you are supposed to develop web applications with the python programming language easily. Flask is specially built to develop lightweight applications like digital calculators, compass apps, or calling applications. The complex work of web app development can be easy and fast using the flask python-based web application development framework.
Advantages of Flask
- One with a minor knowledge and experience of Python can easily develop web applications using the flask framework.
- Flask is a simple and minimalist python based web application framework which is why on exam easily excavate most parts of the Flask.
- Flask offers a modular set of codes that make it possible to develop multiple web applications and servers. This can be distributed over a massive network, with each individual having a specific task. This will make it the best compatible for developing light web-based applications.
- Unlike other monolithic applications, the flask-developed application is more scalable.
Disadvantages of Flask
- The web application developed under Flask has a single source which makes the application take more time because most of the time, web applications have to handle multiple requests, one after the other or sometimes many at the same time.
- Flask framework has a few tools, due to which a developer needs to look for tools in other libraries and use several extensions for accomplishing a project.
- Flask contains a limited number of tools and resources or has a curbed database. It doesn't get standardized in most organizations because it is difficult for someone to switch from Flask to other complex and advanced frameworks like Django.
What is FastAPI?
After all other traditional frameworks, there seems to be the requirement of an advanced and modern framework that will meet the requirements of modern applications. To meet the same, Fast API is developed. Fast API is a modern, robust and fast web application development framework that helps developers to make APIs. It will work on Python 3.6+ versions handily. It has a user-friendly interface with ultra-fast to code compatibility. FastAPI simply focuses on the following things:
- Fast development
- High and fast performance
- Fewer bugs
Various popular companies are using the FastAPI framework to build their web application; these are Netflix, Uber, and many more. FastAPI supports asynchronous programming with ease and can run with ASGI (Asynchronous Server Gateway Interface) and
WSGI (Web Server Gateway interface).
Advantages of Fast API
- Fast API has the integrating capability with all other external providers, including OAuth 2.0.
- Its advanced coding is compatible with both JSON Schema and Open API.
JSON Schema: It allows a developer to annotate and substantiate JSON documents. JSON Schema is like a vocabulary.
OpenAPI: Open API is an interface available for the public for programming that provides access to modify the application according to the requirements.
- Even with JSON requests, FastAPI allows users to validate the data type from the developer.
- It offers an autocomplete specification that helps the developers to accomplish the Python-based web applications more effectively and in less time.
- Fast API is manageable to create GraphQL API from graphene-python (one of the most resourceful python libraries).
Disadvantages of Fast API
- The development of web applications is much more complicated and massive as for building a web application, a user is supposed to tie up all the things together in the Fast API application that makes the original file much bigger.
- Fast API framework is one of the newest Python-based frameworks; it just came into existence due to which there are a few community guidelines and information available. There is no specific course and instructive book available till now. At all, it is hard to learn the framework for freshers and newbies.
Comparing Django vs. Flask vs. Fast API
As we have seen above in the article, all these Python-based web application development frameworks have their advantages and disadvantages. Now let us compare all of them based on the following parameters:
- Performance: As we know and read in the above article that FastAPI is the newest, most modern and most advanced framework; it provides the fastest performance among all three. Flask can also be considered a fast framework because of its micro-framework specifications. All Over, it is faster than Django.
- Community: When it comes to the number of users and community, our Django will take over due to its value in the market. It is the earliest among them, which is why it covers most of the community. FastAPI is newly developed and has a lower community than Flask.
- Flexibility: Every user wants a framework that is flexible; if there is a requirement for any change or upgrading in the future, the user can easily perform the same. In this situation, Flask is the best because it provides compatibility to modify every part of the application, which makes it the most flexible framework.
- Packages: Django has the most packages in its library, which count around 2500. It is one of the biggest Python-based web application development frameworks. Flask is a micro-framework, it has no packages, and Fast API has less number of packages.
Hence, through this article, we all come to know about all three Python-based web development frameworks. These all have their specifications and features depending upon the requirements of the developers.
If you are looking for a high-performance and fast framework, then FastAPI is the best for you because of its advanced and fast compatibility. Flask is the best among all three, and there is no competitor of fast in terms of adaptability when it comes to flexibility.
And if you are looking for a fully stacked python based web application development framework, Django is the best for you; it has over 2500+ packages in its library and provides numerous features and facilities that can be helpful for a developer in developing a massive number of objectives and functionalities because of its vigorous behavior.
Although, all of them are widely used python-based web application development frameworks. You can go for any of them according to your preference.